Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Pilgrim Pouch Debut



Over two years in the making...tested on the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage trail in Spain...made with eco-friendly fabrics...it's the Pilgrim PouchTM! The pouch handy for hiking, biking, traveling, & strolling around town.



In 2011 I walked the Camino with my dad Albert in memory of my mom Lillian and her two sisters, Arlene & Virginia, who all passed away in 2010 within seven weeks of each other. On the walk I realized the need for a small & lightweight carry bag to hold essentials. 

When Dad & I returned to Spain in 2013 to walk the Camino again, the gear preparation included searching for a bag. There was no luck finding what we wanted, so I got out my sewing machine and created the first version of the Pilgrim Pouch.

The Pouch proved to be invaluable on the trail and while sightseeing. I used mine to carry a camera, sketchpad, and sun lotion; Dad used his to carry a cell phone, small tablet, and guidebook.




Once home from the Camino, I further developed the Pouch, which involved fine-tuning the overall design & incorporating art inspired by the trail. The Pilgrim Pouch line was launched with a silkscreen design on the front that replicates the logo, a boot to represent the countless walkers who have trekked the Camino over the centuries.

The process of producing the Pilgrim Pouch involved many stages, from finding a U.S. manufacturer to getting a patent & trademarks in place. A search for eco-friendly fabrics led to choosing a blend of organic cotton/recycled polyester (from water bottles) & an organic cotton lining.

The 9.25"x 10"x 1.5" Pilgrim Pouch packs easily into a backpack or suitcase and is hand washable with cold water & a gentle soap. The wide adjustable shoulder strap stays comfortable for hours, and a zippered closure keeps everything in place. At around 4 oz., the Pouch never weighs you down!

Dad & I on a walk with our Pilgrim Pouches

In 2015 Dad & I returned to Spain to explore more Camino trails, including Camino Aragones, & in 2016 I walked solo the Camino Primitivo.

Follow along on "Pilgrim Pouch Peregrinations" as the Pouch travels the Camino and other adventures. 

Ultreia! Forward!


Lillian, Arlene, Virginia -- "The Charn Girls"



No comments:

Post a Comment